Thursday, November 13, 2008

I don't think I made the bed in the last week....

I think my OCD is on vacation! I'm losing it! And I am sad and disappointed in myself. Aren't most people overjoyed to overcome a life-long and rather unhealthy obsession? Don't get me wrong, I still scrub the apartment from top to bottom every Saturday and keep things in their respective places, but lately I find myself dead tired at 8 pm and looking around for something to fall asleep in.

All my sleeping clothes seem to be my workout clothes now and well, I got tired of doing laundry every 2 days, so they are all in the hamper. And lately, stars alive, I have been sleeping in my underwear! Something I told myself I wouldn't do because you never know when there might be a fire and you have to get out fast and the last thing you need to worry about are firemen standing over you wondering what in the world you are sleeping in. I imagine myself looking incrediously back at them and saying something truly witty, "well it's a bed of course, haven't you seen one before?", but know in that moment it will be sheer terror trying to keep the g's covered and all wittiness will most likely fly out the door atop the clouds of smoke billowing forth from my apartment door and windows.

So back to the reason why the bed is not made....well I don't have a good reason, but lots of good excuses, which seem to be the only thing I have going for me some days after a truly harrowing workout session.
My first excuse is the standard you get from everyone: Well it's just going to be slept in again tonight, why bother?
The second: I don't have time.
The third (and this is the real one): I am so tired, I take my lunch break, take Daisy on a block walk (too tired to go any further),come straight back to the apartment, set my alarm for 45 minutes later, fall into bed and sleep blissfully until the wretched alarm is screeching in my ear with me thinking 10 more minutes is all I need.

What in the world is going on, you might ask? I am not sure. I go to sleep at 9ish and wake up at 5ish, so that's the recommended 8 hours, right? I am eating healthy (the chocolate Jerry brought to work doesn't count against me, right)...okay, so I will re-phrase that. I am eating healthier than I ever have in the last 2 years, so I should, by all accounts given, have more energy. And nope, I am not expecting. A baby anyway. I am expecting this stubborn belly fat to fall right off and in 2 months be back to looking insanely fabulous. FYI: Will be starting month two of the working out like a mad-dog and not much happening so far.

So, it's official. I am indeed getting older, my metabolism is slowing down and to prevent myself from become Holy Hannah Hip Girl, I am just going to have to do this. Working out and eating healthy, not so bad, it's the being tired that's got me in a slump.

So to all you moms out there, keeping even a passing semblence to normal, here's to you. You are officially my heroes. I don't know how you do it, but I give honor and respect to your labors. How in the world do you keep up with babies, school, cleaning, blogging, and all the Jones's in the world? Amazing.

God won't give us more than we can handle, but boy does he know what we don't like to handle. :)

3 comments:

Britney said...

What you said about sleeping in your underwear is so funny. I have that fear too, but I can't stand to sleep in pajamas because I always get warm. I just always make sure I have clothes right next to my bed that I can throw on in an emergency. I actually bought a robe mainly for that reason. Brock doesn't care at all about being in his underwear in a fire. In fact, he probably wants an opportunity to run around outside with no clothes on. His immodesty is so strange to me.

Alicia said...

I never thought about what I would be wearing if my house (scratch that) trailer caught fire. Wow. It's a like a new realm of anxiety has swept over me... :)

I used to sleep with a pair of shoes next to my bed when I was little so I wouldn't get stickers running outside.

Your schedule is so busy! Good job keeping it together.

Your blog made my day. You're so funny! "Why a bed, of course..." Ha ha!!

Alicia said...

I need to clarify. I used to keep the shoes by my bed in case the house caught on fire and I needed to run outside. My two biggest fears when I was little were house fires and stickers.

I wish my life were that simple still!